Friday, September 07, 2007

Go Cards!

I spent Labor Day weekend visiting family in St. Louis. Last Saturday I indulged in one of my favorite pastimes as I watched the St. Louis Cardinals defeat the Cincinnati Reds 11-3. I took a few pictures which I’ll share here.

In pre-game ceremonies Cardinals manager Tony La Russa was honored for passing Hall of Famer Red Schoendienst’s all time managerial win record.





From left: Cardinal owner and managing partner Bill DeWitt; Schoendienst; La Russa.





Reds slugger Ken Griffey, Jr.




Cards first baseman Albert Pujols.




Cards win!

With Thursday’s win over the Pittsburg Pirates the cards are one game out of first place in the NL Central division. Will they win it all this year and have to apologize again?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. RW,
We're cards fans as well! We enjoy your blog, particularly the ones regarding your family and St. Louis. Tell us a little bit about your family and St. Louis upbringing.

Robert W Donnell said...

I grew up in Jefferson County (DeSoto, MO)and did residency at SLU. I have a sister in Ballwin, an uncle who lives in the area, a cousin in the Tower Grove area and another in Barnhart (Jefferson County).

I started going to Cards games at the age of 8 in the first ball park (Sportsmans Park, but by the early 50s known as Busch Stadium)on North Grand. I grew up watching Stan the Man, Ken Boyer, Curt Flood, etc and had the thrill of meeting a few Cards players as a youngster.

Email me directly if you like (contact info upper right, main page of blog) to share more memories.