Monday, February 02, 2009

Fallout from our Medscape Roundtable on industry support of CME

There’s been quite a bit of feedback in Medscape and the blogs. We’ve had 48 responses so far in the Medscape Physician Connect discussion thread. Consistent with every other poll I’ve seen published, participants overwhelmingly oppose a ban on industry support. 23 comments so far are in opposition to the ban, 4 are in favor and 21 are unclear, neutral or off topic.

There have been at least a couple of blog reactions. Predictably, the Carlat Psychiatry Blog was negative toward my position. But the entry was strangely titled “I’m a physician. I deserve nice things.” My Medscape piece merely demanded evidence to justify restricting doctors’ choices of educational content. What does that have to do with nice things?

No comments: