Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Stan the Man receives the Medal of Freedom


From the St. Louis Post Dispatch:

WASHINGTON - Stan Musial joined leading politicians, cultural heroes and human rights leaders today in receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor.

I grew up watching Stan the Man. I started going to Cardinal games at the age of eight. My father was acquainted with Leo Ward, traveling secretary for the Cards, and we had the opportunity to watch some games from his box seats on the first base line at Busch Stadium I, AKA Sportsman's Park, where we saw Stan “up close and personal” when he played first base.

Stan was loyal to the St. Louis fans and never wanted to play for any other team. He once offered to take a cut in pay during a slump. One time my dad was dining at Stan's restaurant. There was Stan sweeping the floor.

It's great to see him honored in this way. He's been one of the game's under rated players.

No comments: